Sunday, January 18, 2009
Bloomin' Balloon - Coming of age! It's 21.
This quilt was created for an invitational challenge. The challenge was for the Silver Dollar City Quilt Show. We were required to use a collection of 100% cotton prints by Marti Michell with no more than 25% solids. Each quilt was 36 x 36 inches.
It was definitly a challenge to create this quilt. The fabrics I ordered to do this didn't have enough variation in value. They were all also subtle and I was more comfortable creating with a mixture of brights and subtles.
I used strip piecing to construct the sections. I had to resort to overdyeing to get enough suitable fabric for the sky area.
I made 3 different centers for the flower before I made this final one. I beaded it to give it more color and texture.
A calendar was created for the show and my quilt was featured in February.
As I look at the quilt 21 years after I created it it looks much better than it did when I finished it. I always tell students if you don't like something put it away and when you take it out again it will look better.
And for tonight's puzzle I've given you a section of Bloomin' Balloon.