Friday, March 12, 2010

Love and Marriage - You can't have one without the other - Part 4


This style of quilting with a zigzag stitch came about purely by accident. I was in my studio quilting quilts my grandchildren were making fast and furious. I'd finish the edges with a zigzag for them. I placed Jessica's quilt under the needle and started quilting away and realized I hadn't changed to a straight stitch. I liked the effect and quilted the entire quilt with the zigzag..
I have since used it on several of my quilts and this is one example. I added the blue circles to give it a focal point and a little more interest.

I quilted this with a zigzag stitch with peach thread. I added the spiral with the purple variegated thread for a focal point.


The quilting on this quilt was done with a narrow zigzag stitch. It echoes the design in the negative positive design.



When I thought I had finished the quilting on it I looked at it and realized something was missing.
I added a focal point with the stitched grid which also became part of the quilting.

One of the great things about quilting is there are no mistakes, just opportunities to try something different.

I hope you can see how the quilts and the way I quilted them make that perfect marriage.

A circle cut for a quilt with a circle.
Click to Mix and Solve

2 comments:

Eva said...

Abstract art at its best! The straight crossing lines on the lime green quilt remind me of mending, and it is so stubbornly emphasized, so large that it really says something.

Christine Thresh said...

I can't imagine quilting with a zig zag stitch, but I might give it a try. I have enough trouble quilting with a single line stitch.