Tuesday, March 23, 2010

We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming to bring you this breaking news!

"And now, in accordance with tradition, I declare the XXI Olympic Winter Games closed."

If you read Emily Parson's blog you may be confused when I say this and you might have thought they were over already.


The official name of this quilt is "I'll See You In My Dreams".
I have been calling it the Olympic quilt as it has taken an Olympic effort to finish it. The quilting of the star was the biggest challenge. After I had that quilted I thought it would be smooth sailing from there on out.
It didn't work that way. As I quilted the rest I was doing fine and didn't have any problems - until the thread on my spool of Oliver Twist got down to the last 1/8th of the thread on the spool.
From that point on it just kept breaking, particularly when doing free motion quilting.
When that happened I came up with some presser foot down quilting options but it wasn't long before it started to break again. That's when I changed to a new spool of Oliver Twist in just a slightly different color. That solved my quilting problems.

The edges of the quilt are finished with facings, rather than a binding. To do this well it takes a lot more time than putting on a binding.



This is the back of the quilt. I didn't have enough of the backing fabric to back the quilt so I added a pieced star in the middle and that gave me enough for a backing. You can see the facings made from the batik fabric around the edges. At the top you can see the casing to hang it, also from the batik fabric I used on the front of the quilt.

Whether you call this "I'll See You In My Dreams" or my Olympic quilt I hope you enjoy putting it together.
Click to Mix and Solve

3 comments:

Wayne Kollinger said...

Kay

I like the quilt. And I like the back. Backs are too often neglected. But backs can be beautiful too. And why not do something fun and interesting on the back of a quilt? I think back are a great place to experiment. If it doesn't work out, well it was only the back.

Norma Schlager said...

Hooray! You deserve a gold medal! It's terrific!

Emily said...

So beautiful! Gold medal for you!

(I love the look of the facings)