Wednesday, June 9, 2010
Bordering On A New Millennium - Part 6 - Finale
I had intended to simply finish the edge of this quilt with this border print.
I realized it needed more interest than the border print would give so I added a one inch strip of the purple print and another strip cut from the same fabric I used for the final 16 points.
The more substantial border complemented the quilt and yet did not take away from the focal point of the quilt which was the Mariners Compass.
I layered the quilt with backing and batting and then it was time to do the quilting.
I did free motion quilting around many of the motifs in the Mariners Compass and Lace portions of the quilt to emphasize the designs.
Because I used clear smoky thread I can not get a good enough photo to show you the actual quilting around the motifs. It blends in with the design to well.
By doing this type of quilting though, it adds dimension to the design areas.
The background needed some interesting quilting and yet something that I could do in a reasonable amount of time.
My sewing machine happened to have some programmed quilted feather designs which I scattered randomly around the background. I then filled in the remaining areas with free motion stipple quilting.
I know it is not particularly easy to see the quilting again because of the transparent thread but I tried to adjust the photo to make it more visible. The color is not accurate. You can click on this for a larger image.
I bound the quilt with a Jinny Beyer black on black print which created a sharp defined edge.
I added casings on the back at both the top and bottom to hang the quilt. The top casing is used to hang the quilt on the wall. I put another piece of flat aluminum in the lower casing to help the quilt hang straighter and weight the botom.
Bordering On A New Millennium