Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Bordering On A New Millennium - 10 years later

I don't think any quilt I have made gets as much attention as Bordering On A New Millennium.

You have seen it many times as I use it as a background for visitors photos. People stand in front of it and look at it and ask a lot of questions about how long it took, how I did it and say nice things! Many have no familiarity with quilts, but are still drawn to it.


It's hard to get a a shot of the entire quilt without moving the furniture so please excuse the objects in the way.

I'd like to share a little about how I created it with you.



I started with a Jinny Beyer border print that had a lacey effect. I had 35 repeats of the motif so I designed the quilt to use 32 of the motifs. That determined the size of the Mariners Compass.



If you look closely at this photo you can see the seams where I joined the motifs. If you can't see the seams that means I really did a good job. You can click on the photo to enlarge it and see the seams more clearly. You may even be able to double click to make it larger yet.

After sewing all the "lace" motif's together I measured the diameter and circumference of the circle and began to draft the Mariners Compass. I only had to draft 1/4 or 1/8 of it.



I chose the fabrics for the north, south, east and west points first. It was cut from a border print I only had 1 yard of. If you look closely you may be able to see how I created each point with a seam down the middle.

To be continued-

2 comments:

Mishka said...

Wow, Kay this is magnificent.

Patty said...

Oh my...I could enter that quilt and
live quite happily. Well done!